Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ali's Lounge

My friend Ali recently said she was wanting some decorating help when it came time for them to move to their new home, and I jumped at the chance to help.

This is what we started with:
As it is a rental house, we couldn't make any cosmetic changes, but luck was on our side, as the walls were freshly painted a beige before her family moved in! Ali wanted furniture that was child friendly, but still allowed for lots of storage of toys and all of the things that go with having a young family.

So this is what I came up with

1. Ikea Granemo Bookcase is good for storing books, for both young and old on. I like that it is low-line, and therefore can be used as a sofa console as well.

2. TV units not only house a TV, but a dvd player, and a multitude of dvd's. So the cupboards under the Ikea Granemo TV Cabinet are mighty helpful. Paired with the Ikea Granemo Side Cabinet you have an elegant

4, 5 & 6 Freedom Mantel Cushions and Freedom Royal Cushion - Ali asked for a touch of gold to tie in some gold frames she already owns, and what is more lux than these cushions!

7 & 8 Ikea Ektorp Armchair and Ikea Ektorp Corner Sofa in a dark beige colour- Ali mentioned on her blog thast she loves the Ektorp sofa, as it looks so comfortable, and is practical as you can throw the removable covers in the washing machine when little hands make dirty marks.  Ali uses the lounge as her office and lounge, so by maximizing the space, she is still able to put her desk in the lounge and watch over Master M, and corner suite adds more seats in a smaller room, without the bulk of several lounges. The armchair is for Ali's hardworking husband, who asked for an armchair of his own.

9. Freedom Como Ottoman - oh how I love an ottoman! A hardworking item that looks stunning as well! Somewhere to rest your feet - check. Somewhere to rest your morning coffee - check. Somewhere to store the tv remote and guide - check!

10. Rugs-A-Million Leo Rug for visual interest to break up the beige of the walls and the carpet.

11. A beautiful glass lamp. I like this one from Freedom Sofia Table Lamp. As you know, I have something similar in our

12. A potted plant. With my black thumb I prefer an artificial plant, like this one from Freedom. It is harder to kill a fake plant, but I do like the thought of something living in my lounge room, besides my sloth like self ;)

13. Ikea Ribba Frame to show off the beautiful photos she had taken of her son last year, as well as the new little addition she is baking! I love the look of thin frames with thick mats. Especially with vibrant prints.

14. Freedom Bamboo Throw for those winter nights where you don't quite need the heater.



So there you go, my plan for Ali's lounge room. I would love to hear what you think about it.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the "after" shot! Love your choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great eye for this - your choices tie together beautifully!

    PS - have you received your parcel yet? I'm dying to know if you like it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great April.

    I love the lamp and I agree, the ektorp sofa look so comfy. I'd love a loungeroom with space to have some really cosy, comfy couches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your mood board - it all looks fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!