Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kitchen Love

Recently we realised that it has been a year since we started the kitchen renovation. Which means we have lived with our new kitchen for almost a year and still not finished it.

It was at this point that I started to list the things I would change about our kitchen in the new house. Some elements of our kitchen would stay, others would go.

On the stay list we have our bin system.
Someone gave us the advise to think about where we would put our bins in our new kitchen. Despite being to super anal organised person I am, I must admit, prior to being given the advise, I hadn't given it little thought. So we looked at our options, having a bin in a cupboard under the sink, a freestanding bin, or a built in devise. We chose the built in kind, and I must say, it is one of my favourite features. 

As you can see, we have two bins, the front for regular waste, the back for recycles. At first I was worried about how small the bins were, given we were going from large bin liners to the bathroom sized ones (which we now re-use plastic shopping bags when we have them), but it hasn't been an issue. If anything, it has made us recycle more and produce less landfill waste. 

The other handy feature about our bin system is the drawer underneath. It is where we keep all of our cleaning items, as it is just the right height for a spray bottle to stand up. I have to say, it is nice not having to dig at the bottom of a cupboard for that rarely used bottle of carpet cleaner, instead just plucking it straight from the drawer.

So there you go, a staying feature of our kitchen was our bin. Can't say I am not unique with that one ;)

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. That's a good idea, I'd def need a bigger bin though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be suprised. We used to have the really large bins (that take the extra large bags) and cope well with this size. For some unknown reason, we produce less waste now than we did a year ago, which is rather strange, as I haven't changed my shopping habits.

    However, you can get a larger version, that has a normal shaped drawer underneath rather than our pot drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those bins...all hidden, it makes the kitchen look so much neater. I would have one but it's hubby's job to empty the bins and i have a feeling it would be out of sight out of mind :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great idea! I'd love one of those!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!