Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cot Valance

I always had grand plans of making a cot valance following John and Sherry's tutorial on how to make a cot skirt. It was all sorted in my head. I measured the height I required for the cot, and ordered the fabric and waited for its arrival.

There was just one small detail I forgot: to measure the width of the cot and make sure the material was wide enough. Opps! I was adamant that the stripes had to be vertical.

So a join would be required. But I didn't want the join on show - so I went to Plan B.
I figured a simple box pleat would be fairly simple and easy to do, and I managed to get it so that the seam was hidden behind a pleat. I just measured the required width of the cot, added an extra 30cm for the pleat, and made sure the seam was in that section. Easy peasy!

Not bad for a first attempt if I do say so myself.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. looks fantastic.
    i recently added a valance to our cot as well. makes such a difference to the room, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love my valance! I had a slight problem with attaching it to the cot though - I forgot about that part and used painters tape. Which didn't really work that well for me. Turns out the stapler works really well though :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!