This was actually completed last year, to just scrape in the list of things I wanted to complete for 2011.
It started out as a pretty boring task, remove doors and chisel out the hole for the flush sliders, so that I could paint them. It was meant to take a day.
It took three weeks. Which meant I had to look at this for three weeks (and this is the cleaned up version).
Why did it take so long? Well I started by using a brush to paint them. Huge mistake as the brush marks were visible, and unlike every other door in our house that has a textured finish, these ones have a smooth finish. FAIL #1. Sand back doors.
So I decided to spray paint them for a nice smooth finish. Added bonus was that we had a friends spray kit at home already. Fantastic. Until the paint ran as neither of us had much of an idea of how to spraypaint doors (top tip: use an airless system or a mighty big compressor. Neither of which we did). FAIL #2. Sand back doors again.
So we were starting to run out of options (and baby sleep time), so we went back to our old faithful: rolling. Which was a success, thank goodness as I was contemplating paying $300 for new doors at this point and sending them to a professional painter.
So now we have this view:
In our next house I am having a better system.