Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Australia Day

Today is Australia Day, the day where I really am thankful to live in this big, vast land of both wet and dry (and sometimes both at the same time).

Recently I was amazed at the generosity of many Australians, as they helped strangers clean their places in Brisbane after the floods. Strangers giving a helping hand to strangers. Then I saw it with my own eyes as Victoria started to flood too. The amount of people that rang my work to volunteer to help anyone who was affected by the floods. People who probably had a million better things to do on their summer holidays. It was tear-worthy to watch (hey, I am pregnant, my hormones make me cry at Oprah for Pete's sake!)

So on this Wednesday the 26th January, otherwise known as Australia Day, I plan to spend my day listening to an inspirational Australian (Fr Bob McGuire) at my local Australia Day celebration, eat a snag or two, pick up some bargains in the city, and take a trip the most un-Australian place ever (Ikea). All whilst being thankful for the land I call home.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Happy Australia Day to you too. IKEA on Australia Day, he he. Almost as genuine as the lamington Swiss roll we're having for morning tea!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. Are you sure you really want to go to Ikea??? It will be so crowded!
    Have a great day.
    Pamela xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmph, this morning when I was talking to the husband, he specifically said I was to not go to Ikea. I had to make do with BabyBunting and Bunnings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!