Monday, January 3, 2011

Ikea, I love you again.

After my outburst at Ikea a few weeks back, I found myself spending a quick half hour in my happy place (it really was quick, I forgot my purse!) and discovered that
a) their website sucks balls and despite not stating the white Hemnes 8 Chest of Drawers is available, it is infact a stocked item!
b) Some smart person at Ikea made a sheet of all the dimensions of the Hemnes range for me to take home and study (of course I found this after I had written it all down on the back of a receipt that was in my pocket).
and finally
c) it is possibly to go into Ikea and leave with no buying anything at all (after having ordered a serve of meatballs I discovered I had left my purse in the car and for once there wasn't six million coins in the bottom of my bag).

Anyway, after wanting this chest of drawers to be used as a change table after some slight modification
and having each and every drawer planned out in great detail, I realise it would leave zero room to walk around and use as a change table. So its smaller little brother it is!
Which isn't a bad thing, just means I need to re-think my storage needs. There is quite a bit of hanging room in the robe, so I am sure I could get some sort of hanging storage device from Ikea, otherwise I can always just buy a wire drawer thing for in the bottom of the cupboard if we needed it.

Anyway, this is what I have plotted for the room
The left side will be the chest of drawers (which will move slightly more out of the picture, the right side will be a bookcase for displaying pretties and baskets of toys. Thank the lord for blue painters tape being multi-purposful!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Good on you April. It is a "big unit" and while the idea was good....the execution for the room may have been a little squeezy! The IKEA store and the training of some staff and website though leave a lot to be desired.

    Can't wait to see the nursery in all it's finished glory
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I've been reading your blog for a while but never post but I thought I would let you know that we use the same dresser for in our son's room as a changing table. It actually has a good amount of space, especially the bottom drawer since it is so deep. We keep cloth diapers in the top drawer with other diapering needs, clothes in the second drawer with socks and shoes and blankets, sheets, pjs and etc in the bottom drawer. It works great for us and I like the height of it too.

    Congratulations on your little one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!