Saturday, January 16, 2010

Baking: Lemon Meringue Cupcakes


Image from Frills in the Hills


My friend Megs sent me this recipe during the week (she got it from Frills in the Hills), and said that they are awesome. I plan to give them a whirl sometime soon. I do love a good lemon meringue!


Ingredients
200gr butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup lemon or passionfruit butter
1/2 lemon
3 egg whites
3/4 cup caster sugar



Method:
Preheat oven to 160 deg (fan forced) or 180 (non fan-forced)


Method:
With a mixer, cream the butter, vanilla and 1 cup of caster sugar together



Add the eggs, one at a time - the mixture will separate - don't stress!


Take the mixture off the mixer and add 1/2 the flour and half the milk, stir with spoon, spatula and when combined well, add the other half (it's beautiful and silky at this point!)


With two spoons, fill your paper cases (I have used Robert Gordon Liberty cases - fills 20, but if you were to use small cupcake cases it would make around 24) about 1/3 of the way up (I large tablespoon)


Flatten them down as much as possible, then put in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.


When cooled for about 30 minutes, with a spoon, spoon out centres (round 20c coin size) and fill with lemon or passionfruit butter.


Whilst the cakes are cooling, wipe the inside of your mixing bowl with 1/2 lemon.  Add eggwhites and whip until you get stiff peaks.  Add caster sugar and whip for a further 1-2 minutes until meringue is glossy.


Put meringue into a ziplock bag and cut off the corner so it's about 1/2cm from bottom.


In a circular motion, ice cupcakes basically to cover all of the lemon/passionfruit butter and overlap with cake.  Doesn't need to be super professional, you can fix up any issues with a knife afterwards!


Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes until slightly browned on top.






Hmmm, maybe I will make them now actually ;)

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. How cool, I hope you like them they are really moorish!

    You can make your own lemon butter or lemon passionfruit butter too to fill them, it's super easy actually I have a couple of methods - microwave and stove top - on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eatting one right now Liss, and omg, they are an edible orgasm! I don't want to take them to work now!

    Will check out the lemon and passionfruit butter recipes for next time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!