Thursday, July 30, 2009

An old favourite meal


For the last few weeks I have been craving Porcupine Meatballs. No idea what brought it on, but all I can remember is them being a favourite when I was a Girl Guide.

When a friend mentioned she was having meatballs for dinner I finally got around to getting the recipe, and am now super excited to be having them for dinner.

Now, if I could make them when I was 12, on a fire, in the bush, surely I can make them when I am 25, on a stovetop, and in my kitchen. Here's hoping they are as good as I remember

Ingredients (serves 4)
400g extra-lean beef mince
50g (1/4 cup) long-grain rice
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 brown onion, coarsely grated
1 egg, lightly whisked
Olive oil spray, to grease
1 x 800g can diced Italian tomatoes
125ml (1/2 cup) water
Parmesan & potato mash, to serve
Shredded parmesan, to serve


Method
Place the mince, rice, parsley, basil, onion and egg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 20 portions and roll each into a ball.
Spray a non-stick frying pan with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Heat over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook for 2-3 minutes until brown.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the tomato and water to the pan and cook, covered, for 12 minutes. Cook, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes or until the rice is tender and sauce thickens slightly.
Divide the mash among serving plates. Top with meatballs and sprinkle with parmesan to serve.

Recipe from Taste.com.au
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!