Thursday, July 30, 2009

United States of Tara


Tara Gregson is a wife and mother with Dissociative identity disorder (DID). After deciding to take a break from her medication to discover the real cause of her disorder, her alternate personalties re-emerge: wild and flirty teenager T; old-fashioned housewife Alice; and male, loud, beer-drinking Vietnam vet Buck. Tara is supported by her calm and level-headed husband Max, her somewhat troubled teenage daughter Kate and quirky, good-hearted gay son Marshall. Her sister, Charmaine, is not so supportive, often expressing her doubt about the validity of Tara's disorder. From Wiki

I first learnt about this show when being forced to watch Rove one Sunday night, and was intrigued by the interview with Toni Collette. So I watched the series, and found it rather interesting.

Maybe it is my psych backgound, but I was intrigued by how the family, and Tara, coped with everything that went on.

And maybe just a tiny tiny little bit of me made me see my disjointed family as 'normal' Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I love this show. I started watching it while in Central America and have fallen a little behind... Time to catch up. She is incredible in it.

    Toni Collette has also mentioned in interviews (can't remember if it was on rove or not) that she loved the way the family accepted not only Tara's background, but Marshall's homosexuality. That it was absolutely an accepted part of everyday life. Never questioned, with no judgement and no regret. It's a really interesting show, and it really keeps getting better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to track this down and watch it! It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it started this week on ABC1 and 2 this week Kir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I caught this by accident the other week. I was into it straight away. Is it only on Sundays A?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of this... but I LOVE toni Collette! I wonder if i can get it through NetFlix... hum...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay, I saw her on Rove aswell & thought...hmmm interesting. it's been great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been watching this show too, and really like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!