Sunday, May 24, 2009

Maldives (in a round about way)


Photo from Flickr

I may have mentioned that I need to lose some weight. Somewhere around 50kg to be precise.

Once upon a time I used to be 60kg. On my 5'6" body, that was skinny, bordering on too skinny (I have a stocky frame). I was so skinny that my poor dad had sought advice from an eating disorder clinic. Really it was just that I was burning the candle at both ends. I was studying Year 12, working 30 hours a week, partying, and being a typical 18 year old, and just didnt have time to eat.

A year later I was diagnosed with Endo, and I took it hard. Over the next 6 years the weight piled on. Til I got to where I am now. I have tried every diet under the sun, and have had no luck. It has got to the stage where it has affected my fertility, which to me isnt fair on my husband. I should point out that I eat reasonably healthy, i love veggies, i exercise a bit, and try will all of my might to avoid sugar (some days I fail at this), but nothing seems to budge the weight. Which is incredibly disheartening. So I went to my doctor to see about some options.

Eventually, after a lot of consideration, I decided on Lapbanding. I don't expect it to be easy, and don't see it as an easy way out. I know people who have had it done, and it most definatly isnt easy. If you think it is, I say 'walk a mile'. I disgress though

But, in order to stay focused on the big picture, I need a goal. So i suggested to husband that when i am skinny enough to be comfortable in a bikini, that we go to the Maldives. He agreed (I then fell over in shock). In his words "if i get to see you happy, on a beach, in a bikini, drinking cocktails, then its worth it". He even still agreed when i pointed out it wouldnt be cheap.

So that is my focus point (you know, besides being healthy, possibly riding myself of fertility problems, and living longer). Off to research an island which i have no idea where it is. But have any of my readers been there? Or know anything about it. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Me!! We had part of our honeymoon at Landaa Giraavaru (I think that is the spelling. It really is heaven on earth. I can't fault it, I could talk about it forever April! If you are sure lapbanding is the best thing for you then go for it. My only advice would be to try a personal trainer for 3 months first. If no luck then go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to the Maldives but I used to work in aviation and had a customer from there, she would say it was heaven and sent me post cards from there. When you go I hope you get lots of photos to share with us :)

    I agree with stepforddreams, try a personal trainer for 3 months. You should see results. I didn't need to lose weight, I actually wanted to gain weight, tone up, and become heart healthy and I saw results within 3 months. The hard part is keeping the appointments ;) , eating correctly and pushing yourself when it gets hard.

    Good luck with whichever one you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodie, I was hoping you would come in SD. Will email you tonight to pick your brains.

    I actually went to a trainer for a year, and managed to put on weight. Stupid inbalanced hormones. Beleive me, there is nothing I havent tried. It isnt something I have decided on a whim to go for, i have been sitting on it for some time, and will continue to sit for a few more months. Thanks for your concern though :) It was a pretty big thing to come in an mention it for me, as I fear people will try and tell me that I am doing the wrong thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a few women who have had lap-banding now - and I would definitely agree that it isn't going to be easy. They've had amazing results though - and if it's the choice for you, I say go for it - and don't you let other people make you feel bad about your decision!

    Good luck, chook xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!