Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thankful 8: Freedom of speech


Illustration by Edd Aragon, via Sydney Morning Herald

Recently in Australia there has been a political nightmare over Emission Trading. I don't claim to understand what is going on, as honestly I know as much about carbon trading as I know about polymers. I know very very little. And politics is a sure fire way to send me to sleep. But I do know that a few Liberal front benchers (I think) quit over their leaders decision about the ETS. Which lead to a vote for a new Liberal leader. Which lead to Tony Abbott being elected.

It has been all over the news, and in a quite moment at work I read an article about what Tony Abbott stands for. And I have to say, it does not look favorably in my direction. He wants to ban abortions and contraception, get rid of funding for IVF, and dismantle laws about no-fault divorce (not that I am planning some of these, but I am free-choice on a lot of things).

But that's not what I am thankful about. I am thankful that I live in a country where I can voice my opinion about politics, and how it will affect me, and not have it be a punishable offense. I am lucky to live in Australia, and the more years I get under my belt, the more respect I have for my country.



PS - despite having respect for my country, I reserve the right to whinge about how there are no good shops in Australia, and how I have to have everything shipped from overseas. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love seeing what you have to say, so write away!